Let’s take a look at what Derwent says about these pencils:
…The colour palette of Derwent Drawing pencils takes you right back to nature. These coloured pencils are rich and earthy and you’ll find the soft texture and the extra wide colour strip will be a big help when you’re trying to build up dense fur or feathers in your drawings of animals. We’ve also included a number of Sepia tones in the range which you will find very useful when you come to draw portraits and life studies. So why wait…Get Drawing!
Here is what Dick Blick Online says:
Responding to popular demand, Derwent expanded its initial range of six earthy colors, first introduced in 1986, into a glorious palette of 24 subtle shades. These include soft greens, blues, grays, and creams plus a wider choice of traditional sepia tones, making them ideal for a wide range of subjects. Derwent Drawing Pencils are 8 mm in diameter with soft, thick, round leads that have a creamy consistency, making it easy to apply and produce a rich, velvety finish on the paper. The soft, extra wide 5mm strip is ideal for blending and encourages loose, expressive drawings with subtle tonal transitions. Colors can be quickly laid down in wide to thin applications. Pencils are pre-sharpened. These pencils bring color to life — from sweeping landscapes and seascapes to detailed, vibrant wildlife drawings, nature studies, and portraiture.… These pencils are offered in the following sets:
- Set of 6 — (Tin or Blister Pack) Contains one each of the following colors, Brown Ochre, Sepia (Red), Sanguine, Chocolate, Ivory Black, and China White. …
- Set of 12 — (Tin) Contains one each of the following colors, Solway Blue, Ink Blue, Green Shadow, Olive Earth, Brown Ochre, Yellow Ochre, Sepia (red), Sanguine, Ruby Earth, Chocolate, Ivory Black, Chinese White. …
- Set of 24 — (Tin) Contains one each of the following colors, Solway Blue, Ink Blue, Green Shadow, Olive Earth, Brown Ochre, Yellow Ochre, Sepia (red), Sanguine, Ruby Earth, Chocolate, Ivory Black, Chinese White, Light Sienna, Smoke Blue, Pale Cedar, Crag Green, Warm Earth, Wheat, Mars Orange, Venetian Red, Terracotta, Mars Violet, Warm Gray, Cool Gray. …
- Open Stock – All the colors are also available for purchase as individual pencils.
… I opted for the largest set available which is the set of 24. They come pre-sharpened, but the points are pretty blunt. I sharpened each to a finer point before using them. Here’s a peek at them in the box still in the cellophane wrapping and after opened sharpened: … …
Pros & ConsLet’s take a look at some of the pros and cons in my opinion.
- Subtle, muted colors.
- Incredibly opaque Chinese White and Ivory Black.
- All pencils in the collection are lightfast.
- Good coverage.
- Creamy/buttery texture when laying down color.
- They are sold in sets and open stock.
- Limited Color Pallet
- Can be difficult to blend with Faber Castell Polychromos and Blick Studio Artists’ Colored Pencils.
- Don’t keep a sharp point (for detailing).
- Can be difficult to sharpen.