Many people wonder what I use to create my drawings. I use a number of tools in the creation of my work.
I’ve collected quite a bit over the years and have some old favorites as well as some new discoveries.
I’ve linked many of my supplies to either Blick Art or Amazon, for each item. Although I am an affiliate for Blick Art, none of the Blick links below have my affiliate code, and I will receive no compensation for you buying from these links.
- I begin with a good reference photo.
- My laptop computer and PaintShop Pro. I use these to create photos with grids.
Boards, Rulers, Tape
- Glassine This is what I use to place over my drawings to protect them while I draw, resting my hand on the glassine.
- An aluminum straight edge. I have two ( 18 inch and 24 inch ) which are used for measuring the drawing paper and creating a light grid.
- Drawing boards. I use the Richeson Drawing Clip Board and Blick Sketch Pad Boards. This allows me the freedom to sketch and draw anywhere.
- Blick White Artist Tape – PH Neutral tape to tape the paper down to the drawing boards. It helps to keep the edges clean and the papers flat.
- Fabriano Artistico Extra White Hotpress Watercolor Blocks 140lb (300gsm)
- Canson Mi-Teintes Pastel Paper 98lb (160gsm)
- Strathmore 400 Recycled Toned Tan Sketch Paper
- UArt Sanded Pastel Paper 500 grit – for use with Brush and Pencil Powder Blender.
- Blick Studio Artists’ Colored Pencils Set of 72.
- Blick Studio Artists’ Colored Pencils – 12 Grays
- Faber Castell Polychromos – I have been purchasing open stock pencils in colors I need for wildlife work.
- Caran d’Ache Luminance – I have been purchasing open stock pencils in colors I need for wildlife work.
- Derwent Drawing Chinese White – a nice and more opaque white for fine details.
- Derwent Drawing – Full set of 24 colors.
Drawing Tools, Erasers, Sharpeners
- Aluminum Pencil Extenders. Very handy when your pencils begin to get too short to hold.
- Royal Langnickel Soft Grip Stylus & Embossing Set – These are for using the indentation technique. I use them for white whiskers, hairs, feathers & other small details. *This link takes you to Art Supply Source website.
- Gamsol – Odorless mineral spirits used for blending.
- Brush and Pencil Texture Fixative – This stuff is amazing! If you can’t add layers and need more tooth, just spray it on and wait 15 minutes. It makes layers limitless!
- Brush and Pencil Powder Blender – This is wonderful for large areas and backgrounds! Must be used on sanded or gessoed paper and works best with oil based pencils.
- Brush and Pencil Final Fixative – Used to seal and protect your finished colored pencil piece. Prevents smudging.
- Accurasee Proportional Divider – These are helpful for checking placement and sizes.
- Various small brushes for blending with Gamsol.
- Various sponges for blending with the Brush and Pencil Powder Blender
- Kneadable Eraser – for lifting off the paper gently.
- Tombow Erasers – Ultra-fine 2.3mm round and Mono Zero 2.5mm x 5mm rectangular. These are used for “negative drawing” and fine detailing.
- General’s Factis White Vinyl Eraser – A good all purpose, dust free eraser.
- Staedtler Mars Plastic Block Eraser – LOVE this one!
- Faber-Castell Perfection Eraser Pencil – Learned about this one from Lisa of Lachri Fine Art. I purchased the one with the brush end. It is AMAZING!
- Derwent Battery Eraser – Another excellent tool for for removing colored pencil.
- Sharpeners – various handheld pencil sharpeners including a sandpaper block for a few of my pencils.
- Exacto Knife in my case for pencil sharpening, eraser cutting and anything else I might need.
- Helix A5 Sharpener – An incredible sharpener which allows you to sharpen your pencils according to 5 different settings. Setting #5 gives you an amazing long point!