Check out my Basic Tools list for things I use in all my mediums.
- Fabriano Artistico Extra White Hotpress Watercolor Blocks 140lb (300gsm)
- Canson Mi-Teintes Pastel Paper 98lb (160gsm)
- Strathmore 400 Toned Tan and Toned Gray Mixed Media Paper 184lb (300gsm)
- Strathmore 400 Recycled Toned Tan Sketch Paper
- Strathmore 400 Artagain – In Black
- UArt Sanded Pastel Paper 500 grit – for use with Brush and Pencil Powder Blender.
- Blick Studio Artists’ Colored Pencils Set of 72.
- Blick Studio Artists’ Colored Pencils – 12 Grays
- Faber Castell Polychromos – I have been purchasing open stock pencils in colors I need for wildlife work.
- Caran d’Ache Luminance – I have been purchasing open stock pencils in colors I need for wildlife work.
- Derwent Drawing Chinese White – a nice and more opaque white for fine details.
- Derwent Drawing – Full set of 24 colors.
- Prismacolor Premier Soft Core Colored Pencils – Full set of 150.
Drawing Tools, Erasers, Sharpeners
- Gamsol – Odorless mineral spirits used for blending.
- Brush and Pencil Texture Fixative – This stuff is amazing! If you can’t add layers and need more tooth, just spray it on and wait 15 minutes. It makes layers limitless!
- Brush and Pencil Powder Blender – This is wonderful for large areas and backgrounds! Must be used on sanded or gessoed paper and works best with oil based pencils.
- Brush and Pencil Final Fixative – Used to seal and protect your finished colored pencil piece. Prevents smudging.
- Various small brushes for blending with Gamsol. I currently use Taklon Bristle and Synthetic Hog hair sets Hobby Lobby brand.
- Various sponges for blending with the Brush and Pencil Powder Blender
- KUM Magnesium Wedge Sharpener – Specifically used for my Faber Castell Polychromos colored pencils.
- Alvin Brass Bullet – Specifically used for my Prismacolor Premier Soft Core colored pencils.
- Global Pencil Case – I purchased the case that holds 120 pencils. I use it to keep my 85 lightfast Prismacolor Premier pencils and some of my polychromos pencils easy to grab. The remaining 65 non-lightfast Prismacolors I am keeping in the original box they came inside. I intend to eventually purchase another case to store all my polychromos.